Thursday, February 24, 2011

Purging the Meat

I did have a more clever title in mind (ok..."Beating the Meat" really isn't that clever), but then I thought that might be a tad misleading and attract traffic from people obviously looking for another kind of blog. Anyhoo...

This week I figured it was finally safe to begin the process of emptying my freezer of meat.



This stuff was taking up valuable freezer space, and I had discovered after almost a month of Kind Diet-ing that a future without meat in my life wasn't just doable; it was incredibly appealing.

After my Petunia Piglet epiphany last week I've become comfortable with a vegetarian label; I started out intent on avoiding labels and expectations, but I'm definitely ready to tattoo VEGETARIAN across my forehead now. Vegan...maybe someday. I'll just cross out the ETARI when that time comes.

VEGETARIAN.

We still had a lot of meat in the house, though, and we weren't interested in eating it. We weren't even interested in a "last hurrah" steak or lamb or bison or salmon or reindeer or ptarmigan or chipmunk dinner or anything. But we did have one family member who we knew would definitely be willing to take on the task of consuming a whole crapload of beef tenderloin.



My handsome mister :)

Galahad was certainly willing to take one for the team. I proceeded to fry up some chopped tenderloin pieces I had frozen for stirfries. Considering this was my first time cooking with meat in almost a month, I have no profound or particularly insightful observations to make other than cow flesh sizzling in its own bloody juices just doesn't thrill me like it used to. And believe me, it used to. Not too long ago either.



Rob the husband was even less impressed. He walked into the kitchen and said, "I don't like that smell. Smells like death." A bit harsh, but he was never a big fan of meat to begin with.

But Galahad was thrilled.





I also boiled up some of the meat to mix in with his dinner over the next couple of days, so he will definitely be a happy happy lad. And yes, the possibility of transitioning our pets to a vegan diet is in the back of my mind, but for now that's a bit much to tackle.

I'm really happy that the meat in the freezer is on its way out, and will be put to good use and appreciated by my exceptionally handsome boy.

The Haagen Dazs, on the other hand, I might just have to tackle myself.



Oh darn, oh darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment