Monday, June 13, 2011

My U2-Vegan Connection (a bit of a stretch, but there is one)

I really want to blog about my U2 concert experience...but this blog is supposed to be about my Kind Diet journey, so blogging about U2 would be totally off topic. Unless I found a way to link U2 and vegan livin'.

Which I totally have :) So now I'm free to talk about the Seattle show on June 4th. Score. 

Only for U2 can you line up at 5pm on Friday for a concert that doesn't start until 7pm on Saturday and be number 120 in line. 

But it's worth it. 



Rob the Husband, Kathy the Cousin, Ryan the Cousin-to-be and I spent our Friday night going back and forth between the line and our hotel. Luckily we had the comfiest chairs and the weather was cooperative for queueing outdoors. 



This was an odd GA line for me. I've now been to 8 U2 concerts (queued for 7 of them), and we've always been expected to put in our time in line...meaning that once you show up and get a number, you are there for the long haul. This time around people were able to show up and get a number and take off until the morning (which was pretty uncool). But whatever...I wasn't running the show and I'm not confrontational, so we just went with it. By around 5am, most of the 119 people ahead of us (and about 180 after us) were at Qwest Field ready to be moved onto the premises for the "official" GA line. True to their word, at 7am the Qwest staff moved us onto the property. 


After settling in, we headed back to the hotel to shower and check out, and then returned to the line for a day of basking in the sun and U2 fan camaraderie. 











One may wonder, what does one eat over the course of the day queueing for a U2 concert if one wishes to stay true to the Plant? Well, our  breakfast was Perfect Oatmeal from Starbucks, lunch was a veggie dog (there might have been dairy in the bun but I wasn't being picky), and dinner was nonexistant...we didn't want to leave the line after 4pm and I figured the less stuff in my system, the better. 

I also made sure to wear my cutesy vegan propaganda shirt because it's awesome.


The anticipation for the show was building up over the course of the day, and became even more intense when Lenny Kravitz started his sound check. Qwest being an open air stadium, we could hear absolutely everything, and it was INCREDIBLE. And then when U2 started their soundcheck the excitement built up even more, so much so that I may just pee myself if I attempt to describe it. 

Once they let us in it was a mad dash to score a spot on the rail, but we managed to secure our real estate.


Knowing we were there for the next six hours or so, I realized that water (in small quantities of course) might be a good idea. When I went to get a drink from the kiosk they had set up on the floor, however, it turned out that they didn't sell anything non-alcoholic there. 

??? 

Who doesn't have water available at a beverage station? Seriously.

Because the girls working the kiosk didn't direct me anywhere else, I assumed there was no place close by that was selling water, so I settled for a Mike's. 

Which they wouldn't sell me because I didn't have ID. Frack. 

Pet Peeve: People who are CLEARLY younger than me asking me for ID when I'm friggen thirsty and there are no non-alcoholic beverages available. 

Fail Qwest Field. Fail.

It all turned out ok though, because my cousin-to-be Ryan scored me a Mike's, and all was right in the world again. All became even more awesome in the world when Lenny Kravitz took the stage. 




Holy shit this guy can rock it out. I was never an OMG I LOVE LENNY KRAVITZ AND I WANNA HAVE HIS BABIES AND BRAND MYSELF WITH A LENNY TRAMP STAMP superfan, but it's hard not to feel that way when he's giving it his all on stage right in front of you. What an amazing performer.

Lenny's set was over all too quickly, and we soon found ourselves listening to Ground Control calling Major Tom, and then the moment of truth...




I love these guys. So. Much. Ima shut up now and let the pics do the talking.

















They even had a message recorded from a space station. Outer SPACE! For a rock concert! And then the astronaut piped in some lyrics during Beautiful Day. From OUTER SPACE. Did I mention this was just for the rock concert? 

Only U2 man.

An incredible concert, an inspiring message from Bono raising awareness for Amnesty International and the ONE Campaign, and worth every second in that line up to score an unobstructed position on the rail.


And the U2-vegan connection? Well, aside from me sporting my Eat Vegies Not Friends t-shirt at the concert, Bono endorses the book Veganist by Kathy Freston, who is the wife of Tom Freston, Chairman of the Board of the ONE Campaign to Make Poverty History. 


I love this man. 

So much. 

:)







No comments:

Post a Comment